返回列表 回復 發帖

[新聞] Horton on Hughes appointment

Former Manchester City boss Brian Horton has spoken to Setanta Sports News about the appointment of Mark Hughes as the successor to Sven Goran Eriksson.
City fans will not be outraged with a former Manchester United legend taking up the reins at Eastlands, according to Horton.
“No I don’t really think so, if he does well. There is a rivalry between The Reds and The Blues and he’ll probably have to win them over.
“I think the City fans have been waiting for a bit of consistency and continuity as they keep swapping managers very quickly.”
Eriksson was dismissed despite guiding City to a Uefa Cup place, and Horton believes Hughes will have to hit the ground running.
“You don’t get time in Premier League football. He is going to have to try and get them into Europe and win a trophy. That is what the Manchester City fans are really clambering for.
“He has got some very good players already there, and maybe he will play slightly different to Sven.
“People will give him some time, but I can’t say too much as they want to win some trophies.
“Everybody will compare him to Sven now, so he’s got to finish high up in The Premier League.”
With Hughes’ move to Manchester City, can he ever move across the city and manage United?
BH: “Has he given up the chance to be the Manchester United manager? But who knows.
“If he wins the title with Man City then why not go there [Manchester United].
“City is a massive job with plenty of money to spend, and I think he should forget about that [Manchester United job] if this is at the back of his mind.”
It is usual for a new manager to return to his old club to recruit players, but this may be difficult according to Horton.
“He has brought some really good players into Blackburn like Roque Santa Cruz and whether Blackburn would allow him to take them, I don’t know.
“He will take his backroom staff with him. He’s taken them to other places he’s been and I’m sure he’ll do that.”
It is reported that Manchester City have had to stump up £4.5 million in compensation for the recruitment of Hughes.  
BH: “You can spend up to £20-odd million for a player. I think, in the past, people have been loathed to pay fees for managers and compensation.
“And why not! If he has done a good job for someone, and good British managers are really scarce at the moment. I would like to see even more of them get a chance in The Premier League.
“It’s been openly talked about that we need good young British managers to come through and, the only way they will, is if they manage in The Premier League.”
Horton does not go along with critics of Hughes who have accused the former striker of building physical sides.
“He’s had a bit of criticism about being strong and physical at Blackburn, but I don’t go along with that. I think you get some good, solid sides and he’s had some very good footballers there.
“He will try and play attractive football, as he knows that is what City fans want.
“I think he will play with two strikers and be very positive.”
返回列表