返回列表 回復 發帖

Huge Holes in the Earth: Open-Pit Mines Seen From Space

本帖最後由 bchew 於 2009-12-22 09:32 AM 編輯
0 D3 D' f/ u' \3 [! u公仔箱論壇tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb1 t5 y- A6 i$ d7 V9 E; [9 {

6 {& R# T2 r0 o& p5.39.217.77:8898
5 }# R& Q) W5 w4 P3 dPeople have become significant earth movers, outpacing all sources of natural erosion. More and more , |- q8 D$ d/ [* S7 }8 c
of our footprint can be seen from space in many forms, including cities, reservoirs,agriculture and 公仔箱論壇$ o. E8 G$ y5 o. q; z3 ?# O% ^3 y
deforestation. Among the most impressive human scars on the planet are open-pit mines.
' P1 Z: k3 t/ U: G8 L+ |We’ve gathered some of the biggest, most spectacular and interesting mines, as captured by 公仔箱論壇  Y7 q2 b' ]) b, u- V
astronauts and satellites on the following pages.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb5 G# g7 t. E  O$ C' ^7 R

# A# I* h% \! S5 t2 x9 u7 O9 j# O4 B# x公仔箱論壇Above: Berkeley Pit, Butte, Montanatvb now,tvbnow,bttvb) r7 @" H% o: p
This former copper mine operated between 1955 and 1982. Gold and silver were also mined.
9 j( t) r, l  I8 q* A' I6 \8 K) |An elaborate system of pumps and drains kept the local water level low enough for mining.
$ X; j7 j$ ?- T( IToday, the 1,780 foot-deep pit is filled with around 900 feet of very contaminated water filled
- D% X6 u2 A/ \9 C' }公仔箱論壇with metals and chemicals such as arsenic, cadmium, pyrite, zinc,copper and sulfuric acid. The
# v: b) A/ x: R) J公仔箱論壇water can be as acidic as battery acid,and copper can actually be “mined” directly from the water.
+ d" _1 C- @- }; D5 x; _Currently, the 1-mile-by-0.5-mile pit is listed as a federal Superfund site with the potential to # H) }0 y6 X- s/ ^4 t1 Q9 @
contaminate surrounding ground water, and,surprisingly, is also a tourist attraction, complete & o7 R( a2 F( i" U
with gift shop and$2 admission fee.公仔箱論壇& Q% O. E" ?% l5 D
This photograph was taken Aug. 2, 2006, by astronauts aboard the International Space Station.
: ~$ \1 v5 O% f: n. ?) l5.39.217.77:8898
1 h) }0 [0 T4 O% {# ], o公仔箱論壇tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb* u% W7 J* O. v6 Y$ b

& y% H9 s+ `2 ]6 b" }3 }Escondida Mine, Chile+ w, c/ c+ _8 E( P; o
The Escondida mine, opened in 1990 at 10,000 feet in northern Chile’s Atacama desert, currently produces TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。- g5 t3 u: ]. G* L+ v/ h
more copper than any other mine in the world, with 1.5 million tons in 2007, worth more than $10 billion and
3 Z2 u. S7 _( o+ e4 Irepresenting nearly a tenth of world copper production. More than 6,000 people work at the mine.
% [0 C7 i( o7 H5 x5.39.217.77:8898This image was captured in 2000 by the Advanced Space borne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer
9 K/ S4 I1 }4 v1 w5.39.217.77:8898aboard NASA’s Terra satellite.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb6 `, o0 _" x& |+ K  d" _, ]+ q
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb2 J. R- ?: T2 ~4 u; L, W. X

$ U6 k" D6 }7 q5.39.217.77:8898; J& ~8 X  J8 B( b/ B/ A$ c
Bingham Canyon Mine, Utah
4 K! z! l% I& t, h$ O, ]TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。Located 20 miles outside Salt Lake City in the Oquirrh Mountains, the Bingham Canyon copper pit has produced tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb; S6 b# e3 g4 t6 F
more than 18million tons of copper over its lifetime, more than any other mine in the world. The pit is about 2.75 ; W5 K) r3 d, b
miles wide and 4,000 feet deep. Two Empire State buildings stacked one on top of the the other wouldn’t reach
2 o/ ]5 v. h9 n, m( F! U3 zthe top. By 2015, the mine will be 500 feet deeper, and a third Empire State building will fit inside. The terraces
$ a, B+ f. Q6 P, y) R  O; ~6 Cinside the pit,which provide a base for the digging equipment and also stabilize the slopes, can be more than 80 5.39.217.77:8898! S% }. N' o) A) w; f) K
feet high. Opened in 1904, the site has been named a historic landmark.
' P& F. N" `" n- Ytvb now,tvbnow,bttvbThis photograph was taken Sept. 20, 2007, by astronauts aboard the International Space Station with a digital
6 t# ?( K! J+ X$ c5.39.217.77:8898camera and an 800mm lens.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。' j- E! B3 }) R7 L

5 O8 @0 m9 ~& n. ~5.39.217.77:8898
% z* ]2 Y2 }: M, }5.39.217.77:8898TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。* t2 O1 i- t9 F  m) w
Yuba River Goldfields, California.& L1 |  Y  c! [4 F: J
The Yuba Goldfields are a strange culmination of years of pressure-jet mining for gold upstream in the Sierra Nevada, " y1 w# E3 Z8 U) a/ E/ [
dredging the tailings out of the river, and mining the tailings for gold and then later for gravel. The result is an odd
, n% @; k1 c* clandscape of reddish-brown and gray hills of gravel with water-filled ravines in between.
6 H6 M5 j0 F. GTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。Shortly after gold was discovered in the Sierra Nevadain 1848, panning gave way to highly destructive hydraulic
+ I9 P/ k9 I' t) S0 B* `TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。mining, which involves blasting sediment away with high-powered jets of water. Gold was extracted from the gravel, 公仔箱論壇8 e' J+ Z" U8 o
which was then dumped and carried downstream by rivers into the Sacramento Valley. The Yuba River ended up with
$ a1 r& ^  N- f0 STVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。685 million cubic feet of the mine waste, which raised the level of the river, overflowed the banks and buried farms.
, Z( l; o( k) j6 A3 I8 _公仔箱論壇Dredging of the Yuba began in 1893, and soon after,mining companies began to sift and re sift through the debris to   z& T, a+ N, n; Y5 q, V
extract ever-smaller bits of gold. By 1970, all economically feasible gold removal had been completed, and mining of the tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb% D, B" a" K+ ^+ H# ~( g
gravel for concrete began. Today, ownership of the land is disputed among mining companies, private owners and the government." J) z( K4 i0 c9 p! X) U- b
This image was taken by the Advanced Space borne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer on NASA’s Terra satellite Aug. 29, 2001.
& z8 z9 M& s3 S2 Ttvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
4 f5 B" r$ D1 B# l
3 s# s% Q7 m7 T0 E% U# {! h
* }+ }1 `4 E8 \5 w2 e5.39.217.77:8898Toquepala Copper Mine, Peru
+ v9 D8 c. w( s4 m" G% rLocated in the Andes Mountains in southern Peru, the Toquepala mine is 1.5 miles wide and 2,300 feet deep. TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。2 d- L6 {! L$ ~7 z, b  M; M4 J
The mine’s main output is copper, but it also produces gold, silver and molybdenum. The railroad that was
% j. R) j9 Q  J9 L公仔箱論壇constructed to carry the ore 60 miles to the coast can be seen winding down a canyon left of the center, * c! y$ u8 ^: s! q4 Q: I# d: o
heading southwest from the mine. This image was captured by astronauts aboard the International Space
9 d& v" y+ V8 q7 l公仔箱論壇Station on Sept. 22, 2003.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb: R0 d$ E, _3 Z% V7 x; u1 ^6 Q
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb  [2 \2 ~/ v9 j8 e: [9 Z

% M- L1 S; G+ k( c5.39.217.77:8898
0 i" I* @: h7 vTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。Freeport Mine, Indonesia
1 v% p, G9 k- UThe Freeport Mine, also known as the Grasberg complex,is a huge mining operation in Indonesia’s Sudirman
6 e; H* c' _6 _Mountains. Copper was discovered here in 1936, and gold was first found in 1988. Today,the mine is one of
/ J' \; V% x4 u; y+ p! D5.39.217.77:8898the largest gold- and copper-extraction operations in the world. The open pit is 2.5 miles wide, and there is
: x, w9 Z* Y" P. O- X. G# \TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。extensive underground mining in the area as well. Glaciers are also visible in the image.5.39.217.77:88984 `- `9 ~  ^$ h+ c5 w
This photograph was taken June 25, 2005, by astronauts on the International Space Station.
& Z* q/ Z' G" ntvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
( H* X$ \9 R) C3 n5.39.217.77:8898公仔箱論壇! E6 t: Z3 p$ E2 j
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb4 R/ V  T' v8 O- {! B
Cananea Mine, Mexico
6 g4 t4 l; q" x) n: J' NTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。The Cananea mine is located 25 miles south of the United States border in Sonora, Mexico. The active Colorada
5 S: o) a# R$ m3 btvb now,tvbnow,bttvbPit in the upper right is 1.6 miles across. It is one of the largest copper producers in the world and also contains tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb8 c# c" N1 B, F8 l9 E( e: R
gold. Those two metals are often found together where hot magma forced its way up into the overlying bedrock.
& w( Y1 h9 p( U) sTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。The magma crystallized there while hot fluids circulated through it and into fractures in the surrounding rock,altering
3 N4 C4 I% f* L7 z; F6 [) s公仔箱論壇the rock to produce copper-rich minerals and gold.
8 Y& |: ^) B4 g0 N: HTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。A 1906 miner’s strike at Cananea turned violent and resulted in 19 deaths, contributing to events that led to the
  q  K* R- m2 |% p公仔箱論壇Mexican Revolution in 1910. Another strike stopped work at the mine in 2007.
* U! J+ p. ]! o8 c: BThis image was taken by astronauts aboard the International Space Station on March 3, 2008.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。' w; V) c+ w! W- `6 g' q. |9 }$ h
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。+ L8 O3 Q% C. V: }

9 R  }* S$ p* V: \9 L
. N/ f% U3 b2 j9 c, D$ g5.39.217.77:8898Phosphate Mines, Jordan
7 v2 R, u0 Y2 J. {: [# Ftvb now,tvbnow,bttvbPhosphate mining is an important industry in Jordan,which has abundant deposits of the mineral on approximately 60
0 S8 G1 ]7 h  uTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。percent of its territory. Phosphorus is essential to living things, and food can’t be produced without it. Some scientists TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。5 ^3 I/ e/ L; f0 X" h
fear a shortage of this critical resource is impending and have predicted the world will reach “Peak Phosphorus,” the
4 O$ a+ I' A9 E' R7 H) F0 P公仔箱論壇point at which production will begin to decline, just 30 years from now. There is currently no synthetic alternative.; O$ J. t5 M( U- a" w# G
This image was capture by the Advanced Space borne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer on NASA’s Terra tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb7 u# z% B% y4 `
satellite Sept. 17, 2005. It is a false-color composite of visible and infrared images. Vegetation appears red, water is , V: e+ L" P! O& O$ T5 u/ P' |
blue, and rock and soil can be anywhere from buff to black. The mining operation is the area just left of center in the
6 B) ^7 S1 Q) _/ |! T( slower part of the image that appears striped.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。) X# Q& j6 S6 s! }; B6 n$ N5 u8 H

* h8 N; F( l; V7 {7 b0 n' j5.39.217.77:8898
+ v( J' |0 [+ Q: i& i7 V' utvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
' E- C( E# p4 z- {" G公仔箱論壇New Cornelia Mine, ArizonaTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。7 a& F5 Z+ q. M
Copper was first mined from this area just south of the mining town of Ajo, Arizona, around 1750. The open-pit mine pictured
  Y, t1 l! J! t公仔箱論壇above began being excavated in earnest in 1912. It was shut down in 1983 when the price of copper dropped. The scalloped   Q3 P: C! w9 r* d
land just to the right of the mine is covered in tailings, and the large gray rectangles above that are containment ponds where tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb- k: i- s4 Z0 N* i' l, m$ Q0 B
the metal was extracted.
7 H' Z% I! t/ l/ {TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。
0 U3 b7 E% q4 B- stvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
2 o8 X3 S0 U! o& l5 @9 \+ I! ~
1 ~  j1 Q9 a! F( X2 mHambach Coal Mines, Germany
: b4 q# W; X  D) Q  t) k" nThe bright white-and-dark-blue–striped areas on the right side of this image are opencast coal mines in mid western Germany. $ l4 a, @, y, b7 C
One of the mines is currently being worked by the Bagger 293, the largest machine in the world.The bucket-wheel excavator 公仔箱論壇' }7 f' \" g# A, z) I7 }0 @$ h
is twice as long as a soccer field and a stall as a 30-story building, and digs up 30 million tons of lignite per year.
4 Z/ X; \; {/ RThis image, captured by the Advanced Space borne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer aboard NASA’s Terra satellite
9 T; q" `7 S5 W- X" k. V7 s) j! Btvb now,tvbnow,bttvbAug. 26, 2000, is a simulated natural-color image. The bright-green rectangular patches are crops, the gray patches are
2 D$ U6 F" \% y0 N6 v! x: T5.39.217.77:8898bare ground, and the bluish-gray areas are towns.

評分次數

• k23bb

推呀推呀 呢個post 好正 睇到好多平時睇唔到既相!!!

評分次數

• k23bb

推呀推呀 呢個post 好正 睇到好多平時睇唔到既相!!!tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb6 x/ T0 E' i* h9 F* T
PMF003 發表於 2009-12-22 11:26 AM
講得好呀 真係難得一見
返回列表