Board logo

標題: Out of the Blue: Islands Seen From Space [打印本頁]

作者: bchew    時間: 2009-12-22 09:10 AM     標題: Out of the Blue: Islands Seen From Space

+ |% n9 ^4 j( N) D; ]) S5.39.217.77:88988 d3 I9 N, A2 M3 D) Y! G
Islands are some of the most beautiful, peaceful, violent, desolate and unique places on Earth. While experiencing a tropical island
2 r, D3 N) R7 _; Q2 P' vtvb now,tvbnow,bttvbfrom its sandy beaches, or a volcanic island from its towering peaks is wonderful, experiencing them from above can be inspiring as well.
" z; i8 h5 f  `7 r2 t; y公仔箱論壇
' M  a3 \6 r9 C& p& IWe’ve collected images taken by astronauts and satellites from space of some of the most interesting islands on the planet.5.39.217.77:8898/ w' K) M8 v  M5 t" W
5.39.217.77:8898: i+ E& t3 N* B/ P6 Q4 h  i; b; L' p9 O
Atafu Atoll, Tokelau, Pacific Ocean
- Q. _' l, W, O8 i. h: b公仔箱論壇
, C2 N& Z$ c/ B& e. K$ u公仔箱論壇Around 500 people live on Atafu Atoll, mostly in a village that can be seen on the corner in the left of the image above. Atafu is just five
6 ?; W! O- |1 E/ i5.39.217.77:8898miles wide and is the smallest of three atolls in the Tokelau Islands, a New Zealand territory.# g% S/ D$ q+ h1 E2 F; _
公仔箱論壇9 O5 s, R& K/ {
Atafu is made up of coral reefs that surrounded the flanks of a volcano that has since become inactive and submerged. Like many tropical
! a! S2 v, j* K! O1 {" d/ }9 latolls, Atafu is very low lying and vulnerable to sea-level rise. This photograph was taken by astronauts aboard the International Space Station in January.
2 ?  B  }# d. C! z# J公仔箱論壇
6 A4 e0 T  |, N1 g  ]  jtvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
6 Q# j6 ]' r. i* c6 ], i% O7 T6 S" a
Onekotan Island, Russia
  v4 M! b3 P1 x# o) h& qTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。& l4 f. x  j0 _/ R, j: w
An island within an island was created after a big eruption around 9,000 years ago caused the peak of Onekotan’s volcano to collapse, forming 公仔箱論壇1 r- t2 A2 i) t% _( \2 e' S* m
a caldera that subsequently filled with water. The island inside the caldera is known as Krenitzyn Peak, which is the highest point on the 2 _$ K" i4 `* D( ^* J
island at around 4,300 feet.公仔箱論壇+ t" M/ |1 t3 X6 ~/ u/ W% e
2 m( @/ r/ P$ T& c; Q
Onekotan is in Russia’s Kuril Islands between Japan and the tip of the Kamchatka Peninsula. The islands were formed by volcanic activity tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb; k/ Z6 F% `% j5 p3 u
caused by the subduction of the Pacific Plate beneath the Eurasian Plate. Subduction can also generate some of the largest earthquakes
, X! ]+ h1 e$ v, gon Earth, including a magnitude 9 here in 1952 which was followed a week later by Krenitzyn’s only historical eruption. This image was tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb7 s6 f4 ]$ q; {2 K
captured by the Advanced Land Imager (ALI) on NASA’s Earth Observing-1 (EO-1) satellite on June 10, 2009.公仔箱論壇! c% [" ~9 x0 T; S
公仔箱論壇8 c. R% z: Z9 W9 |

+ T( g4 q" z$ Ptvb now,tvbnow,bttvb. F+ W9 v3 E/ O) h4 C
Galapagos Islands, Pacific Ocean5.39.217.77:8898! e6 n* p; `& L" U
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb6 m- e" p+ N  K0 l6 f( V
The Galapagos Islands are the tops of volcanoes on the sea floor off the coast of South America along the equator. The volcanic activity ! ^" J/ b* r& M/ E( @: v
that formed the islands is thought to be the result of a plume of hot mantle material rising from deep in the Earth’s interior.; L7 l6 |( e  Z$ I& W9 h2 l% r" Z
' h8 G, F' O% [: x9 G) t
The largest island, Isla Isabela, is made of the lava flows of six gently sloped shield volcanoes. The northernmost of Isabela’s volcanoes, ( r+ E$ K% |) Q2 a# F# E+ Q
at the top of the image above, is Wolf Volcano, which has erupted at least nine times since 1797. This image was taken by the Landsat TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。1 M: s5 t- S# [' d8 u6 f6 o  X& Z
7 satellite in 2001.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。4 Q4 `9 _$ I) {) _
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。' {7 E0 u# {0 L
% {3 _: W7 p! J
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb7 k8 [" W4 [) J, G
Maldives, Indian Ocean
# P1 p) f6 s" ^, B1 d: f公仔箱論壇5.39.217.77:8898" ]6 y! y/ p4 u5 G3 v
The Maldives comprise 1,192 small coral islands adding up to just 115 square miles of territory. About 330,00 people live on the islands, 9 n6 C2 y, L% i  B7 n
the average elevation of which is a little more than 3 feet. It is probably the lowest country in the world.
0 J$ K- B  _! `% e8 k, btvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
$ s9 k  p- J2 v( E$ @  l1 @9 qThis image of the North and South Malosmadulu Atolls was taken in 2002 by the ASTER instrument aboard NASA’s Terra satellite.tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb+ ^% N$ x) I) O, N9 Q; |
* j1 ^& a/ r; ?% z

1 e: G: p% ^# X3 eTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。5 W/ s$ J7 E! s
Henrietta Island, East Siberian Sea: w- X* g; W) m  d/ i- o

) u! y( Q' l. X2 H  zThis glacier-covered Russian island is just 6 miles wide. Beneath the ice, the island is made up of 500-million-year-old volcanic rocks overlain by
3 g' O4 L" u2 N& C0 ?公仔箱論壇younger sedimentary rocks. This image was taken by the Advanced Land Imager (ALI) on NASA’s Earth Observing-1 satellite on April 30, 2009.
! y0 Z! J! s8 e4 b7 }% \2 o, D' L
! R- p9 r1 t7 k4 ?% I
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。' d8 B; ]7 S5 ^$ ?: s
Eleuthera Island, Bahamas公仔箱論壇& p- O* f* G: A4 [7 R

2 s: X' Y2 l7 W# l) L% A3 |8 T8 W0 h5.39.217.77:8898The spectacular underwater formations to the west of Eleuthera Island are made of calcium carbonate sand that has been eroded off
5 P" G0 c7 K* ^" e. }! w& Jof coral reefs and deposited in dunes by ocean currents.
; h* N$ L9 ]2 f, U5 [& u; M- ITVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。( U% h/ Q& O) Z  F6 g
This 2002 image was captured by astronauts aboard the International Space Station. Located in the middle of the Bahamas, Eleuthra IslandTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。- s: _* Q% i' Z" h+ n* ?) N. ?
is 110 miles long, and in places just over a mile wide. Around 8,000 people live there.5.39.217.77:8898% z# z( I; \8 y2 ]+ g6 T$ G, K
公仔箱論壇' g0 n! A9 M: w8 ?0 \8 h
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。* m6 L3 o) h7 j  o  l/ v) C
公仔箱論壇3 k8 c- Z% h: B- @& C( |) `
Augustine Volcano, Alaska$ N& ?6 z( U; @, [4 V+ @
tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb1 b, Q+ W- q& Q, ~9 w
The most active volcano in Alaska’s Aleutian arc, Augustine Volcano’s biggest historical eruption occurred in 1883. It has been erupting for
8 u; l; Q6 f  ?! B( d, C2 F1 z# ]0 mtvb now,tvbnow,bttvb40,000 years. This image, captured by The Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer on NASA ’s Terra satellite
  p* `8 s! `' I, b' w: v( Vin April 2006, shows a steam or ash plume at the tail end of several months of explosive eruptions.
% q! e' p, ^7 @5.39.217.77:8898
* _( D5 v6 a( r/ c. p. C" _tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb5.39.217.77:8898+ B' J, U4 M; K, A# O. k
公仔箱論壇& L0 G6 U/ m- d" `
Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia
1 d1 a) y( S4 S# [5.39.217.77:8898TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。/ ?0 v7 C" N2 e5 ?
The three largest islands in this image, and many smaller ones, make up Indonesia’s Komodo National Park which was established in 1980 to protect , u' s8 A7 @+ r' J
the world’s largest lizard species, Komodo dragon. The total area of the park is 230 square miles. The islands are volcanoes caused by the collision
! p% A" L: a7 w0 Ltvb now,tvbnow,bttvbof two tectonic plates. This image was captured by the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer on NASA’s Terra satellite in 2000.
* i) |9 v+ f: i5 Z. M) m+ HTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。
( j! G  B3 n4 N5 c$ Q7 `' `, W4 v! n" B, k1 y
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。" a# J0 i0 b  y
Hawaiian Islands, Pacific Ocean
3 i8 ^; s( @" u2 h" R3 r, {4 hTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。
; f4 V: q4 \7 o5 T! \* }7 U" Qtvb now,tvbnow,bttvbThe Hawaiian Islands were formed by an upwelling plume of hot mantle material, called a hotspot. As the Pacific plate moved over the hotspot, it 公仔箱論壇' f; N( F6 A7 O5 L* P, J
formed a chain of islands that first grew larger as they actively erupted, and then slowly eroded and sank below the surface of the ocean as the
) f; t/ m( w# }% Q, Vtvb now,tvbnow,bttvbcrust beneath them cooled.
  U5 i) ^) m( ^6 d- A" \tvb now,tvbnow,bttvbTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。' N1 O% [  c, l# {( e# S
Today, the hotspot is causing active volcanism on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kilauea Volcano has been erupting continuously since 1983. The rest ; x, |; N$ P; c/ _& I' W+ V  w
of the islands, which get older from right to left, are Maui, Kahoolawe, Lanai, Molokai, Oahu, Kauai and Niihau. This image was captured by the 公仔箱論壇$ d, M/ k6 y5 e% p6 e
MODIS instrument aboard NASA’s Terra satellite.Hawaiian Islands, Pacific Ocean
# U3 _  I5 ]3 ~; otvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
1 _, e( _' s! s, H/ v/ LTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。The Hawaiian Islands were formed by an upwelling plume of hot mantle material, called a hotspot. As the Pacific plate moved over the hotspot,
' ]9 g0 M7 o5 ?- j8 C' q$ eit formed a chain of islands that first grew larger as they actively erupted, and then slowly eroded and sank below the surface of the ocean as TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。& S& V" P* Z0 }2 K9 `( ?: U
the crust beneath them cooled.
4 H0 @* ]0 f: XTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。
$ B1 r/ m7 b6 D' UTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。Today, the hotspot is causing active volcanism on the Big Island of Hawaii. Kilauea Volcano has been erupting continuously since 1983. The tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb' d* S3 r3 A8 `6 k' Q
rest of the islands, which get older from right to left, are Maui, Kahoolawe, Lanai, Molokai, Oahu, Kauai and Niihau. This image was captured 5.39.217.77:8898/ A$ b6 U, q" v! |, |3 g- N
by the MODIS instrument aboard NASA’s Terra satellite.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。9 Y* A8 ]) j2 t% Z5 d
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。" b' E% ?2 S1 Y. r; h+ ^7 M% O

$ ^. ]1 }3 e3 K2 o/ y. t5.39.217.77:88986 o! y1 w" g7 Z/ f) p; n/ Z
Alejandro Selkirk Island, South Pacific OceanTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。6 j. ?# m$ K5 `" H& A

9 w# Q/ ~* a7 u: s5 utvb now,tvbnow,bttvbThis small member of the Juan Fernandez Islands off the coast of Chile measures just under a mile across. But its 5,000 feet of elevation is high enough
* v  s) t  ^9 O% XTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。to reach the layer of stratocumulus clouds pictured above. The result is a type of flow known as a von Karmen vortex street. This striking, curly
1 X' A! X" M, V+ d; c6 a' J1 s6 p$ zpattern of eddies can also be seen in clouds, and fluids or air moving past rounded objects such as an airplane wing. This image was taken 2 ^+ {( H( I) Z$ ?6 v. r
by the Landsat 7 satellite in 1999.5 [# H; F; ?  x! I% G
5.39.217.77:88982 A9 L" S" H6 J. a' d  ^

, g, l1 K. F' y) v5 K公仔箱論壇5.39.217.77:8898! @  `: {- J+ w7 r3 A  C
Millennium Island, Republic of Kiribati, South Pacific Oceantvb now,tvbnow,bttvb$ m/ X" v2 i9 L) g) K  N8 h
公仔箱論壇2 f) d! K# C2 i( q
Also known as Caroline Island, Millennium Island is made of coral reefs that grew around a volcano, which is now underwater, leaving behind a
/ j& g" Z9 Y6 N  [8 k  [( ]central lagoon. The maximum elevation of the island is less than 20 feet above sea level. In the past, the island has been inhabited and mined 公仔箱論壇/ m5 c2 n- P7 H: {1 u; q# F" b
for guano, though today there are no people and it is among the world’s most pristine tropical islands. This image was taken by astronauts
* b, T5 Q4 J9 W0 {" tTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。aboard the International Space Station on July 1, 2009.

作者: k23bb    時間: 2009-12-23 01:06 AM

內容精彩...感謝你的發帖

歡迎光臨 公仔箱論壇 (http://5.39.217.77:8898/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0