Board logo

標題: Asteroid Impact Craters on Earth as Seen From Space [打印本頁]

作者: bchew    時間: 2009-12-22 08:55 AM     標題: Asteroid Impact Craters on Earth as Seen From Space

$ Q7 B1 b0 a  ?- ~TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。% A' l. L( q7 g+ s0 q# o/ g4 ~- `
Asteroid impact craters are among the most interesting geological structures on any planet. Many other
, U5 c- p. M( pplanets and moons in our solar system, including our own moon, are pock-marked with loads of craters. tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb4 v0 k' R7 o" b8 B8 w2 }
But because Earth has a protective atmosphere and is geologically active — with plate tectonics and volcanic
- z+ E" l4 e  \/ r  R  r公仔箱論壇eruptions, mostly relatively young oceanic crust, and harsh weathering from wind and water — impact tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb  T; ]; }8 z1 T
structures don’t last long and can be tough to come by.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。8 `- c* L' H1 O  Z( ?6 s

: s3 @- ~7 U5 b7 Btvb now,tvbnow,bttvbBut on a few old pieces of continent, especially in arid deserts, the marks of asteroids have been preserved. TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。) O3 n- \0 L, e: [! W
One well-known example is our own Barringer crater, also known as Meteor Crater, in Arizona. The images here 5 I8 l+ f8 ^8 o) T5 }" D$ P3 V
show some of the biggest, oldest and most interesting impact craters on the planet.
3 u- f* j4 \5 Q- P- E; Ztvb now,tvbnow,bttvb( g9 m- Y/ |8 @* f5 V2 K, ^; t
Aorounga crater, pictured above and below, is one of the best preserved impact craters on Earth, thanks tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb7 n0 k& `% ?$ }  m+ X7 i
in part to its location in the Sahara Desert in Chad. The 10 mile-wide crater is probably around 350 million
: T6 n/ J  j' Q4 `4 byears old. The stripes are alternating rock ridges and sand layers, known as yardangs, caused by persistent
; C1 v1 f% Z* x1 Z5 D% b& j5 L$ Aunidirectional wind. The image above was taken by astronauts in the International Space Station in July.
& d4 n' C1 n$ m' b  Z4 ~' s6 nIn the radar image below, taken from the space shuttle in 1994, reveals that Aorounga may be one of two or three craters.TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。: n) X1 a. ^% e/ z; T
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。' O9 R0 u0 d+ _5 f, }2 I. [6 f/ G
* ]' }2 n6 ~: {2 s# B

! y8 v7 D& Q7 y" {% |$ r7 U0 GTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。5.39.217.77:88980 w( {6 r/ n2 I
! E) o3 w5 c) B6 ^- B
The Shoemaker crater in Western Australia, formerly known as the Teague crater, was renamed in honor of the planetary
; o- E) t" W7 N1 Y' F5.39.217.77:8898geologist Eugene Shoemaker for whom the Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 is also named. The age of the crater unclear, but it tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb; y1 p0 L, Z; i% T& y
could be 1.7 billion years old, which makes it the oldest known impact in Australia. The brightly colored splotches are tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb0 G, _8 j( _9 N! S& g- ^! [/ `
seasonal salt-water lakes. This image was taken by the Landsat 7 satellite.
( C" g/ N- J2 Y$ }3 S! ^2 U: d公仔箱論壇
  D6 G' s3 y( o公仔箱論壇
( a" s; d2 I6 @' s0 i8 Y
! t6 K( m8 J  mThe Manicouagan Crater in northern Canada is one of the largest impact craters known on Earth. The impact occurred
7 w7 r$ Y( O$ t1 }1 ?# u1 Daround 210 million years ago at the end of the Triassic period and may have caused a mass extinction that killed around
8 k; v1 u7 J2 \9 E& @# b; g60 percent of all species. Though the crater has mostly eroded, Lake Manicouagan outlines what is left of the 43-mile wide
. V! d3 @( }; D( h/ Z. |公仔箱論壇impact structure. The asteroid that created the crater is thought to have been about three miles wide. Today the lake is a tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb$ Q, w; Y$ W- Y& Y: f
reservoir and popular salmon fishing location.* i) Z5 t: r2 ]! g" ~% `

# \3 g! H. c4 G7 ktvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
, \1 G/ I1 ~/ h& i/ g# B1 _- h- I4 a( S; \+ a# ^7 s
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。3 J3 D( m+ r  ?- e( K
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。* X7 d; {4 c" ?, W& m1 ?
This crazy looking structure in Western Australia is called the Spider crater, for obvious reasons. Geologists determined it was 公仔箱論壇& A& \3 L  `3 j3 Y- j- m& d) M+ k
an impact crater when they found shatter cones, telltale cone-shaped, grooved rocks found only around impacts. The crazy
! f0 `- C- ~( X5 v# ~9 f公仔箱論壇looking legs surrounding the impact are mostly due to erosion of different rock layers. The harder sandstone ridges withstood 公仔箱論壇: |$ r& }# }; _- d5 W8 e
the weathering of wind and water better than the softer intervening layers. The crater is somewhere between 600 million
+ V- A3 Z, _7 {公仔箱論壇and 900 million years old and the raised area at its center is around 1,600 feet wide.
& c3 B8 E2 U  @' n
3 a' G& ^1 R! I% lThe image above is a false-color image taken by the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer on
4 Y/ S' T2 W  T; W公仔箱論壇NASA’s Terra. The true-color image below was captured by Taiwan’s Formost-2 satellite
7 V) y9 M7 ?/ D7 I
& ?& v8 C- W) |% [' S( d! jtvb now,tvbnow,bttvb公仔箱論壇9 ~. Q* k, c" b/ u
1 _4 A* |$ E$ y7 X1 E7 O* }
& l0 `+ J' D1 N8 U3 _

& ~9 `7 q8 I# `2 Y& r# _0 r+ t# @The Gosses Bluff crater in Australia’s Northern Territory sits between two mountain ranges. The raised circular feature in the 5.39.217.77:8898& U4 N5 T- b7 p3 a4 I
center of the structure is around 2.8 miles across, but the original crater rim was probably at the edge of the surrounding 公仔箱論壇* d! ^/ _' h* W+ V
grayish area. The crater was formed caused by an asteroid impact around 140 million years ago.
9 g7 k& d3 ~  i- V7 E5.39.217.77:8898& f( m) {( D% U, X2 `) |6 z# Z& f

) k& S) g" G% d( [" a& u( D5.39.217.77:8898公仔箱論壇! n2 c. S: O$ w& V
Clearwater Lakes in Quebec, Canada were formed by a pair of asteroid impact craters. The impacts probably occurred TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。9 V# ]( i! V; C9 m
simultaneously around 290 million years ago. The larger crater measures 22 miles across.
- |( o+ p1 f$ _; t3 W, y8 w' D3 B2 L1 _公仔箱論壇
3 K9 m$ \8 o1 C! w* ~" t
: m3 r8 ~/ \0 v2 }5.39.217.77:88985.39.217.77:8898( _7 [# c; b+ b9 {7 e/ Z  Z5 f# y
The Roter Kamm crater in Namibia is hard to see in visible light, but shows up more clearly with imaging radar. The crater’s
3 f" c  @, d6 R) nTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。1.5 mile-wide rim stands out as a bright ring in the lower left of the image, which was taken by a radar instrument on board
( {. B  W5 F$ [2 U$ z: x& W, dtvb now,tvbnow,bttvb the space shuttle. Irregular surfaces show up brightly and smooth areas are dark. The white splotch at the bottom of the
% H8 {6 i! _5 q* I( @/ STVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。photo is a rocky hill, the darkest areas are wind-blown sand dunes, the blue around the crater’s rim may be material that was
4 n1 o0 Y2 Z+ S6 mTVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。ejected during the impact, the red is limestone outcrop and the green areas are mostly vegetation. The impact occurred
: H6 Q' b1 L  ^3 u  {" ATVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。around 5 million years ago.' r' C- p6 B7 l, [

/ |, f2 M, t# ^tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
6 V" s7 o' l5 ?TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。* t! w7 V8 Q2 {2 f& ^/ i
The Lonar crater in Maharashta, India is around 6,000 feet wide and 500 feet deep and contains a saltwater lake. 5.39.217.77:88984 k0 r: d$ o# t# J
Scientists determined the structure was caused by an asteroid through clues such as the presence of maskelynite,   r! c: F$ F6 u" Z1 s# s
a glass that is only formed by extremely high-velocity impacts. The impact occurred around 50,000 years ago. / t6 N* `6 V/ f' A1 a
This image was captured by the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer on NASA’s TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。+ ~4 [9 t. A! M/ @
Terra satellite. It is a simulated true-color image公仔箱論壇1 {2 P: z" g3 V. B5 g
5.39.217.77:8898' Y6 W8 r9 D, d0 v5 q. @# c, S

; x9 y1 O6 c7 D' R5.39.217.77:8898tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb6 t9 c0 o# z# B8 c+ H
The Vredefort Dome in South Africa is possibly the oldest and largest clearly visible asteroid impact on Earth.
% \7 c6 V7 d5 n3 @$ |2 @公仔箱論壇The 155-mile crater is approximately 60 miles southwest of Johannesburg and was formed around 2 billion years ago.
' y$ W  J3 F0 P! V  V
: Y" E9 K/ `; v
' m& ]2 g2 X# o  [$ \1 j$ d; z1 Itvb now,tvbnow,bttvb
4 l& G1 B, m3 @tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb4 l  {5 t3 v* z- ^. O* T. z
TVBNOW 含有熱門話題,最新最快電視,軟體,遊戲,電影,動漫及日常生活及興趣交流等資訊。. N- F" p5 B, A/ }
Artist’s rendering of a space object or phenomenon, so we couldn’t resist this beauty. This is one man’s idea of what tvb now,tvbnow,bttvb+ H. W  w7 q2 H# r; o2 V; {& @8 m
a 300-mile wide asteroid would look impacting Earth. This event probably would have killed everything on the planet.
4 s0 R0 V- D2 ZFortunately, NASA says nothing this big is headed our way anytime soon.

作者: k23bb    時間: 2009-12-23 01:08 AM

真係厲害好少見

歡迎光臨 公仔箱論壇 (http://5.39.217.77:8898/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0